Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Right to Dry

Tell me. Is anyone offended by the humble clothes line? I mean does not this traditional mode of 'doin laundry' evoke memories of yesteryear for many of us? In the quickly growing central Oregon town of Bend it seems that 'doin laundry' the old fashioned way may mean being sued. You see as more and more association governed communties spring up across the country, the rules in which they adhere to seem to becoming more stringent and absurd. For those who believe a clothes line is unsightly remember your neighbor is being a conscientious consumer by conserving energy. Doesn't that benefit the community? I have admiration for those who line dry. I personally know the time and effort it takes to task. Perturbed neighbor here is an opportunity for you to get to know who those folks are in your neighborhood. Are there oshkosh bgoshes hanging on the line?(children are present). Diapers? ( babes, and enviromentally conscious mom). Overalls ?(hardworking folks). Now that you know a little about your neighbors, take over some home baked cookies and a "howdy' and get to know the ones who wear those clothes you've seen drying on the line. A little more appreciation for this time honored tradition of 'doin laundry' benefits the whole in so many ways. It's all about how you choose to look at it.

Blessings! And may your laundry be bright, white and hang proudly on the line.

B

Post A Comment!

Sunday, November 4, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by a1health
I would love to line dry, but my husband thinks it breeds mold, especially when we do not have much wind and it's really hot. What do you think?
Blessings,
~Farrah
Permanent Link

Sunday, November 4, 2007 - Line drying in NZ

Posted by Citygal
Line drying in New Zealand is still really popular. I'd say, at a guess that most NZers still dry on the line - although the dryer is convenient when you're in a hurry. Just last week a lady at the Post Office was telling me she was glad for the high winds we were getting that day, because she'd hung her towels out before going to work. Loved your ideas about meeting the neighbours!!
My mother (a nurse) always hangs her washing out - she said the sun kills any germs that might be hanging on and also helps to take stains out that might not have come out in the wash.
Permanent Link

Monday, November 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by homesteadinthemaking
I love line drying. We haven't put ours back up since moving but I hope to soon.
Trixi
Permanent Link

Saturday, November 17, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by findingcontentment
I don't line dry but I respect those who do. And I like seeing them on the line. It makes houses feel like a nieghborhood of homes.

Barb J.

No comments: