Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Heirloom Brandywine Tomatoes

I just picked the last of the Brandywines, in November. How can that be? When the frost has long been coating the proverbial pumpkin in most other parts of the country and gardens for the most part have been put to their winter beds. This splendid Oregon fall weather with all it's rainy days will have spates of glorious sunshiny weather. It's makes it so difficult to know just when to pull up the remaining tomato greenery and call it quits. But I did. Finally. And not without my doubts that perchance If I wait just a bit longer, I may see a few more blushing beauties to harvest yet. But the deed is done and I think that in a week or so of ripening inside, I might be able to keep them refrigerated for Thanksgiving. One can only hope.

Brandywine for Thanksgiving, now that"s a delicious thought. So I perused the net and found this recipe for Roast Turkey with Pipian Sauce from Country Living magazine. I have never heard of a Pipian Sauce. Evidently it is a tomato-y, spicy concoction that can be used as a marinade for roast turkey. And I could use three of my Brandywine tomatoes. I don't know. Somehow I don't think I could pull that one over the family without a revolt. Anyway, the recipe calls for wrapping the whole dadgum bird in banana leaves too before popping it in the oven. Hmmm..,I'm sorry, I think that would definitely be too much of a departure for the beloved holiday. Anyway, the whole meal preparation thing just wouldn't be complete for me somehow without experiencing the crisp sound of the Reynolds Wrap tearing across it's little metal cutting edge. A fitting canopy for any self respecting bird don't you think? I thought so. Hmm... maybe sliced Brandywines on the side.








The necessary cruelty I inflicted in Great Starts yielded a small but luscious harvest of Heirloom Brandywine tomatoes.



A joyous fall to you.



No comments: