Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Permaculture


After attending this (free, free, free) workshop presented by Mike Fahy and Cameron Smith of Slow Food Yamhill County I realized that for years our life here in our little cottage in the woods is a fair albeit not perfect model of a permaculture. And I say fair because there is always room for improvement and the day to day workings of a permaculture are represented in " small and slow" solutions that occur over time. The word Permaculture is a combination of the words permanent and culture and is really a new fangled term for farming that has it's origins in Asia where it has been practiced for over 40 centuries. Or as Jude Hobbs puts it " A new buzz-word for an old way of living". How it all works together involves the complexity of thoughtful application of energy towards slower sustainable practices that over time produce healthy food and healthier lives. I heard the catch phrase "complex but not complicated". Now that's a motto I can dig.


David Holmgren, is the co-originator of the permaculture concept presented at this informative workshop. He has authored several books that were recommended reading, but the one outlined at the workshop and which I have linked for you is Permaculture Principles and practices beyond sustainability .

But what about the wine tasting? Saving the best for last folks!

There was so much to see and learn at the La Casa Verde Event that at the end of my day, I called in few fellow oenophiles for a little tasting and relaxation. Dominio IV is a certified Biodynamic Organic winery also located in the Granary District, in close proximity to the Saturday Market. I just sauntered, no sashayed, I mean mosyed (?) on over to their Historic digs that are part of an old grain silo for some of their lovely Pinot Noir, Syrah and Viognier.

Ahhhh..... so fitting an end to beautiful day in the slow lane.



A Day of shopping at Saturday Market and of course a picture to document the moment.



Okay, bear with me for a few more comments on this photo. I mentioned that Dominio IV is part of grain silo right? So I looked upward and took this shot of just a portion of the excruciatingly tall walls that loomed above us and went beyond what I could capture in the photo. But check it out, these walls were 2x6's stacked one on top of the other. I liked the texture and feel it gave the room. How's that for insulation value ?, and probably the best rodent protection if ever there was for an old granary.

No comments: