Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Poop Is the word.


That's right, poop. I've logged quite a few posts covering topics on composting, gardening and a few hillbilly tale while deftly skirting the usage of the word poop. And I have successfully avoided the word in my post on Ordinary Soil by using the more palatable word, manure.

Perhaps I have been avoiding using the word poop for fear it is offensive or is base conversation to folks and for the life of me I don't know why. But that was then, before I read a response to my Ordinary Soil post from a blogger, farmer friend up Canada way. Her conversation with her 5 year old daughter makes the whole subject of poop worthy of thought and conversation. And I've also come to the realization that discussing poop with children has a laxative affect. It softens the stool thus making the whole mess a smooth, relaxing and often enjoyable experience.

So in order to understand the multitude of goodness in a good poop and it's miracle working powers on the farm, in the garden and in life, read the following conversation between mother and daughter. It's simple, straight forward and non-constipating.

Trust me, it'll take a load off!



Blogger Feminist Farmer's Wife said...

5 year old daughter: Mommy why does this poop not stink? (as she shovels it into pots for the greenhouse)
Me: Because over time the poop breaks down and then becomes vitamins for the baby plants
5 year old: Are the pigs eating that soil because its full of vitamins?

Your priorities are just perfect in my books. I love your appreciate of a good pile of poop!

June 22, 2011 2:15 PM

1 comment:

Julie Wallbridge (feminist farmer's wife) said...

tee hee. we are civilized up here in Canada - just matter of fact is all!