Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Autumn At My Door

Autumn is tap tap tapping at my door. Tomatillos, cukes and tomatoes fill every available kitchen surface. And HH doesn't have to wonder whats for dinner most nights because more often than not what ever surplus of what I'm currently "putting up" for winter is on the menu. Lately, that has been plenty of salsa, picco de gallo and home made corn chips. Pesto is up next on my to "put up" list. Basil, parsley and garlic beg to be utilized and thoughts of mid-winter deep green goodness on my plate constrain me.



Roasted potatoes have been dished up too. A nice firm crisp as an apple potato, there's nothing like it. My roasted potato recipe is a cinch to do. A one dish wonder that needs no accompaniment, unless it be a nice glass of Pinot Noir!

~ Cut into 1" pieces enough fresh Yukon Gold, New Red or your favorite spuds to fill a large baking sheet in a single layer. Add some fresh carrots cut to desired size and one roughly chopped large onion. Season with Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and a couple of tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary. Toss the whole shebang with a generous amount of EEOO and bake at 400 to 425 degrees (depending on your oven) for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until golden. ~


After roasting there must be boasting. Just a tad. I have so loved my outdoor sink all summer long. No more bending over to wash my freshly harvested vegetables with the garden hose. And I hope more gardeners will consider installing one of their own for next year's bounty, cause baby it's been one humdinger of an idea this cottage woman has come up with in a long time. Click Here for the whole project from start to finish. Mine is a bit rustic, the way I like it, made from recycled building goods. But I would love to see another's rendition of an outdoor sink or washing station. I'll be waiting! In the meantime I will continue to extol the virtues of the Outdoor Sink.




It's nice to know that I'm not the only one reluctant (or maybe indignant?) to answer Autumn tapping at the door.

My sentiments exactly!

No comments: