Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kefir

Occasionally I have thoughts that aren't about composting, imagine! Today as I was making muffins, I was pondering about the kefir I put into it and thought wow, I wonder how many people know how easy this wonderful beverage is to make. My daughter gave me some kefir grains about a year ago, she got hers from a friend who probably got hers from a friend, etc. Kefir is a live culture that you add to milk and within a few weeks fermentation, you end up with a tangy nutrient rich beverage with a consistently much like buttermilk. Soon you will have a surplus of grains to share with a friend too. It is a wonderful addition to smoothies and baked goods or just straight from the jar as a soothing drink. I think it is superior to yogurt for it's friendly bacteria to boost the immune system as well. Google kefir and you will find many sites on the subject like Dom's that is very informative. If you are able to acquire some kefir grains you might like to try the following recipe I came up with. It's a favorite of my grandchildren when they spend the night.

Kefir Cakes

Makes approximately 4 5" pancakes (increase ingredients if needed)

1/2 C. unbleached flour

2 T. cornmeal

1/2 to 1 T. turbinado sugar

1/2 t. baking powder

pinch kosher salt

pinch cinnamon

1 egg

1 T.flaxseed oil

1/2 to 1C. kefir

Blend the dry ingredients first. The cornmeal gives the kefir cakes a rustic texture we prefer, but you may omit if desired. Mix in wet ingredients adding only enough kefir to make a medium thick batter. Let this set while you prepare a griddle. I like using a good coating of olive oil to give the kefir cakes a nice crispy brown edge. I also like to plop a few fresh berries when in season onto the wet kefir cakes as they cook. Serve with butter and warm pure maple syrup.

No comments: