Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Straw Bale Garden


We have been cleaning up our vegetable garden bit by bit. Of course all of this green debris will enrich the compost pile immensely. We used about 8 three string bales of straw to make tiers on the little slope of our vegetable bed. It worked out great! We put the bales in place last fall and the winter rain sprouted remnant wheat grains, I pulled these out easily, letting some mature a bit so I could pick them and put them in a little vase. In Spring we dug a little hole in the center of each bale, and planted nasturiums thinking this would make a lovely display and it worked beautifully. I think we may get one more growing season out of these bales before they completely decompose hastening another uppening stage in the garden. An elderly couple that lives across the creek, up a gravel hill and tucked into a very serene wooded abode blessed us with some canned fruit juices, peaches, tomatoes and plums today. How wonderful to have these home preserved goodies, and to have neighbors such as these wonderful folk!

Post A Comment!

Monday, October 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by anoldfashionedgirl
I love the ideas that you come up with. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you don't mind if I copy some of your ideas.
Jamie
Permanent Link

Thursday, October 18, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Katie
Mom, you are such a great gardener. Your gardens always look good no matter what time of year it is. I think I am going to do the hay bale thing this fall for next spring.
Permanent Link

Thursday, November 15, 2007 - Great Idea....

Posted by Glammon
I love the straw bale idea. It looks great, I may have to try it next spring.

~Gretchen
Permanent Link

No comments: