Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thought Merge


Okay my funky brain says don't do it. Don't do what you did last time. Freaky. But I'm not up to the battle of figuring out how to separate my duds and humdingers (I leave that to you 8) and because this is my "From the Trail" posting, I'm going to throw caution to the wind, let the thoughts collide and then go breathe in the fresh Spring air, find me a piece of moss, cause you know, "I like it mmmmossy", and hit the trail. You can click out now, I wouldn't blame you 'atall.

I watched this talk by Sir Ken Robinson on TED titled "Bring on the learning Revolution". I love his endearing British accent and wit, but most importantly, his poignant message. That our fast food approach model of education is impoverishing our spirits much like the way fast food is depleting our bodies.

It was inspiring and made my brain go whirly whirly, but in a good way. For some time now, I have pontificated, as I am prone to do, on the broken educational system in our country. I have suggested on a number of occasions that we dismantle and build anew. Want to make someone go all googly eyed? Just say that. Works every time. The thought gives folks a brain freeze. That's crazy, how dare I even suggest we try to change our most precious and fiercely protected American educational system. Because it's broke folks. If we could but dare to disenthrall ourselves with what is, we just might save ourselves. But, I fear if we don't dare to disenthrall ourselves we risk going down with a sinking ship.

It was inspiring to hear what I've been thinking for years now. Sir Ken Robinson suggests that the present industrial model of education of our children has squelched their potential, where as a more organic agricultural approach provides a healthier foundation rich in resources to nurture are young seeds, our children, to their fullest potential. Perhaps it's my own observations from "agrowin' things" but I can't help but dream of the wondrous benefits that are possible for our children and our future.

I gleaned words from Abraham Lincolns speech quoted by Sir Robinson to share with you here because I was struck by how fitting and motivating it was then and can be now in our present distress.

********

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty and we must rise with the occasion.

As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves and then we shall save our country.

Abraham Lincoln's Address
Second Annual Assembly of Congress
December 1862


Trail Log 4.9.11

"Everyday, everywhere, our children spread their dreams beneath our feet,
And we should tread softly." Sir Ken Robinson, PhD.

2 comments:

C-ingspots said...

Amen my friend...amen. Very nicely put; from all three of you writers.

Julie Wallbridge (feminist farmer's wife) said...

I found this very touching. I'm going to watch the TED now...but until then - thanks for the excellent parallel and thoughts.